The Chemist will be responsible for the analysis of pesticides and other compounds of interest in agricultural commodities, food, water and other matrices and the continual development and improvement of analytical methodology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs quantitative and qualitative analysis of organic and inorganic compounds in agricultural commodities.
- Reviews and interprets results from sample analysis.
- Performs research and analysis activities according to applicable government regulations.
- Monitors the quality control of analytical test results.
- Develops and validates new methodologies for technical analysis.
- Prepares written procedures, standards, and specification for test methods.
- Performs the technical training of laboratory personnel.
- Communicates with laboratory personnel to provide directions for proper technical technique and knowledge.
- Collaborates with other scientists regarding technical issues, prepares technical papers and reports.
- Communicates any safety, quality, efficiency, or technical problems.
- Troubleshoots technical issues pertaining to methods, instrumentation and equipment.
- Communicates equipment and supply needs required to avoid delays in testing.
- Maintains accurate record keeping in compliance with approved regulatory policies and standards.
- Maintains laboratory management system and safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors of Science degree in Chemistry.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience working in a laboratory environment, a MS degree can be substituted for 3 years of experience.
- Technical knowledge in the operation and maintenance of analytical instrumentation.
- GC-MS required
- GC-MS/MS, LC-MS or LC-MS/MA preferred
- Experience in conducting pesticide analysis preferred.
- Working knowledge of ISO 17025 quality procedures related to sample documentation preferred.
- Method development and validation according to regulatory guidelines.
- Excellent technical and scientific communication skills; written and verbal.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problems solving skills.
All applicants must submit a completed Employment Application Form in order to be considered.
The form is available for download here.