The DFA of California Scholarship Foundation was established in 2012, as a tax deductible 501 (C)(3) organization, to encourage educational opportunities for students pursuing a degree in food science, Biology, Chemistry or a science, with the ultimate goal of attracting future graduates for employment in the food industry.
Every year, DFA awards scholarships to deserving students throughout the state of California. The success of this program is made possible due to the ongoing support of all of our members and industry friends who contribute so generously through their donations and their participation in the annual silent and live auctions. We thank you for your support. If you are interested in donating an auction item, please submit a donation form.
Purpose of Scholarship
The mission of the DFA of California Scholarship Foundation is to grant undergraduate students financial awards to assist them with the completion of their science and food safety related degrees and to encourage High School seniors to enter the quality assurance and/or food safety profession.
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible for this scholarship. The applicant:
- Is a high school senior or college student pursuing a major in a food science, Biology, Chemistry or science degree and attending an accredited college within the State of California
- Has a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and enrolled full-time in a US high school, has graduated from a US high school or has obtained their US GED at the time of application. (Attach transcripts or official record)
- Is enrolled full-time as a college student at the undergraduate level with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 at the time of application. (Attach transcripts or official record)
Application materials must be received by February 1, 2020 in order to be considered. The following materials should be submitted:
- Completed application form
- A typed essay (no more than on page double-spaced) addressing the following topic:
- What are your career aspirations and why?
- One letter of reference or recommendation from a teacher or other adult who is not an immediate relative
- Letter of acceptance to an accredited 4 year or community college (or transcript if currently enrolled).
Recipients will be selected by the selection committee based on application and other required materials provided. The selected recipient will be notified of the committee’s decision in writing. Payment will be made to the recipient’s school of choice upon notification and in accordance with the school’s scholarship guidelines.
The award for the recipient is a one-time scholarship ranging from $500–$5,000 payable to the recipient’s educational institution.
If you think you possess all of the criteria to be an eligible recipient of the scholarship, apply today!